Musing Mondays is a meme hosted by ShouldBe Reading.
July 18: This week’s musing asks…
What is the last book you struggled to read through to the end, even though you weren’t really enjoying it? What made you keep reading?
The Drowning City by Amanda Downum
I did manage to finish it and even did a review on it, but it was really hard to finish. I didn’t feel connected to any of the characters; the story didn’t allow me to get to know them that well. Even though the world was beautifully built, the story kind of dragged along instead of flowing. The end did get exciting and I did enjoy it a lot. It was full of action and emotion, but only in the last 6 -7 chapters.
I’ve never left a book unfinished. I always push along and sometimes I get rewarded (when the story picks up), and sometimes I don’t. I do get annoyed when a book takes me more than a week to read, but only because I have so many others waiting to be read!
My solution right now is to read more than one book at a time, so that when one drags along I just put it down and pick the other one. Right now I’m reading The Bone Palace, sequel to The Drowning City, and also started the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead.


I think thats a great idea. Reading more story than once .You know sometimes a story drags out long but when you put it down and pick it up again its turns out its a rare read.
ReplyDeleteYou can check my thoughts on this here: http://readliveplay.blogspot.com/2011/07/musing-mondays-july-18.html
It's good to read two books sometimes, but most of the time I love the book I'm reading so much I'll be done in a few hours or if I'm busy I'd find every moment I have to finish so I can't read two at same time haha!
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting my website! I also read more than one book at once and I find it definitely helps.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.faeryinkpress.com/archives/663
First thanks for visiting me today. I have some I'm currently reading, but I only read one at a time. Two of the other books are made up of short stories, and the other is a biography, which I have half of it read. But novels I like to read them alone.
ReplyDeleteI used to finish all books that I started whether I liked them or not. These days there just aren't enough hours in a day to read books I'm not liking.
ReplyDeleteI'd pondered this one in the book store before. Have fun reading the Vampire Academy series. The first four were great, and I just picked up the last two yesterday.
ReplyDeleteHello! Thanks for visiting my blog!
ReplyDeleteI sometimes keep on reading a book hoping it would pick up. When that happens, it feels good that I stuck at it. But when I keep on hating it till the very end, I fell miserable. Time is too short to waste on bad books!