Snow Spell
Author: Sonia Pereira MurphyPublisher: Self-Published, (Coming soon!)Genre: YA Fantasy (Fairy Tale)
Meet Neve…
She lives in Paris, France in a tiny old apartment where her parents pray for her safety.
But, she doesn’t tell them much.
Not about the gorgeous apple boy she just met, or the ghosts floating on her walls.
And they haven’t told her that her long lost step-mother…wants her dead.
My Review:
I’ve never read a book quite like this, and I have to say I’m glad I did! This unique retelling of the Snow White fairy tale is done in beautiful prose poems that, page after page, fill your mind with vivid and powerful imagery.
The story is about Neve, a poor girl who lives with her parents in Paris, the city of beauty and glamour. Neve feels inadequate when compared to the model-like girls and the rich people of Paris, and so she spins fantastic tales when asked about her life. But what Neve never tells anyone is that she can see ghosts! Most of the time she ignores them, but lately they’ve been agitated. As if they’re trying to warn her about something or someone…
Jacinta is worried about her daughter, more so when the girl starts writing cryptic messages on the walls, lighting candles, and chanting. She doesn’t know what is going on, but she is certain the past has caught up to them and Rosa has her hand in it. Jacinta will stop at nothing to protect Neve, even if she has to call in one more witch as back up.
All that beautiful Rosa wanted in life was to be loved by Miguel, to be the only woman in his life. But Miguel’s heart will always belong to his daughter. Now Rosa is back for revenge, and she will stop at nothing to eliminate the competition. First though, she will make sure the girl knows the meaning of a broken heart.
It’s a tale full of secrets, magic, and love that you won’t be able to put down. A delightful and short read, that can turn an afternoon into a wonderful adventure.
*I received this book from the author*
Favorite Quotes:
And what did I want? I’d been with men before. Of course. I’m no saint. Please. Chewed them up and spit them out, most times before they could even stay for breakfast. Just long enough to forget the world, a few hours of pretend fascination, pretend romance.
~
“You know very well I’m waiting for the girl’s heart.”
“Ah, yes,” he says. “Delivered on a silver plate, I imagine.”
I smile. “From Cartier’s if you can swing it.”
~
“What do you think was in those fruit? Terrible magic, that’s what! Magic to drug you, give you a slice of heaven. Make you stupid for more! Until you overdosed on bliss and your heaven turned into hell.”

